July 02, 2012

The Shorts Post

I hate my legs - not a huge secret around these parts.  More specifically I hate the way my legs look.  I know I should be grateful for them - they've carried me through 2 marathons, 2 triathlons, and countless other races.  I even went as far as writing them a letter, outlining a truce.  

Through thick and thin less thick, I convinced myself that shorts just weren't for me.  Jay's old basketball shorts are my exercise shorts of choice, and I have a couple of pair Bermuda shorts and a couple trusty pair of capris when the weather calls for my legs to be exposed.

I accepted this as a result of growing into the over 30 set.  Until one day a friend of my mother's gave me a couple pair of mid length shorts.  Said friend is in her 50s, and frequently lets us go through her cast-offs before donating them.  I love her style and she buys expensive brands so its always fun to see what she has.

Those shorts got me to thinking - how can a woman with children older than me pull of the shorts if I can't?  She's in great shape, but has 2 decades on me.  (And yes, she does pull them off quite nicely.)  I began wondering if my ideas about shorts were just silly notions I got in my head that needed purged.

So...I did what anyone would do - took a twitter poll.  The results were overwhelmingly in the "wear whatever you feel comfortable in/rock those shorts."  

So...I took the conversation to Facebook.  There were a few comments in the "thunder thighs should be covered" camp (for the record, they weren't talking about me but rather large thighs in general) but there were a good portion who said that short lengths depended on too many factors to define.  

Finally I took the plunge and wore the shorts...and like a good blogger photo documented.



This pair I wore to the Repeat Boutique 70% off sale.  My mother even told me this was a good length short for me.



The night before I wore these to our town's first ghost walk.  It was a hot evening and I didn't think I'd survive in a pair of jean capris!



There are several morals to this story, but they all boil down to this: Get over yourself already!  Mostly likely the only person obsessed with what you are wearing is you.  

Apparently I need frequent reminders of a truth CS Lewis stated long ago: "Humility is not thinking less of yourself but thinking of yourself less."

Do you have a seemingly simple life-lesson you have trouble grasping?  Or if you're not in a deep kinda mood, what length shorts do you prefer?




6 comments:

  1. What cute shorts!! That's about the length I like, too. I have one pair of bermuda shorts that I wear all the time (because they're blue jean shorts).

    I like shorts now much more than I did before I was running. My legs really haven't changed, but running has changed my perspective on my legs. They're running legs!!! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't wear shorts very often, because I don't like to shave as often as I'd need to in order to wear them. But when I do, they're about the length in your last pic. I have shorter ones that I wear to work in the yard or to the beach or something. But when I'm going to be around people I know, I wear the longer ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's way to hottowearpants. Rock the shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Brooke! I will always be here cheering you on as you grow :) I'm proud of you, and those shorts look GREAT!

    I used to feel the same way about jeans. Hated them. Didn't wear them until I lost weight. Now? I love them. Go figure ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The shorts look great and I think you do look good in them! Rock those legs girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that's a great length! They're not hoochie, and they're not mom shorts. Although I'm a mom, and I'd wear them! ;)

    ReplyDelete

what up yo?